Università di Roma La Sapienza
Sapienza University offers a variety of Bachelors and Masters Programmes that are held entirely in English and continues to add new programmes.
Sapienza, one of the top Italian universities, ranks competitively amongst the best universities around the world according to the international university rankings published in 2017.
Sapienza University is located in the heart of Rome, just a five-minute walk away from the main “Termini” train station.
The main entrance to the University Campus is at Piazzale Aldo Moro, 5, but there also are many side entrances to the main campus. While many offices and lecture halls are located on the main campus (“città universitaria), there also are other faculties and departments located throughout the city. Moreover, there also are offices and departments located in other areas of the Lazio Region.
Why study at Sapienza?
– Sapienza regularly ranks at the top of Italian universities.
– Sapienza is the largest university in Europe and a leading centre for research.
– Choose from over 250 degree programmes, including various Masters Programmes entirely in English and a vast selection of PhD – Programmes ranging from architecture to engineering and computer science. There is something for everyone at Sapienza.
– Enrol in our long-standing, dedicated English-language Medicine and Surgery Degree.
– Join over 7000 foreign students and enjoy the cosmopolitan atmosphere of Sapienza University.
– The main campus, designed by Marcello Piacentini, was opened in 1935. Come study in a unique open-air museum of rationalist architecture!
Bachelor course held in English
Sapienza University currently offers three Bachelors Degree Programmes that are held entirely in English.
Bachelors Programme in Bioinformatics
New technologies produce huge amounts of bio-molecular information daily, including data on genomic sequences, RNA and protein abundances, their interactions with one another, and their subcellular localisation. The challenge is to employ this trove of biological information to understand the physical and functional interaction network of thousands of biomolecular players (DNA, RNA, proteins). This calls for a new mindset with a true interdisciplinary attitude to satisfy the enormous need for experts in biology, biomedicine, and computing, who are able to develop and apply sophisticated computational methods in the field of bioinformatics.
The Bachelors Programme in Bioinformatics at Sapienza University will immerse you in the topics and applied methods of computational modelling, molecular biology, systems biology, structural biology, proteomics, genomic sequencing and genomic analysis, microarray and next generation sequencing analysis. You will be provided with the basic skills to interpret complex biological information, perform analysis of sequence data using sophisticated bioinformatics software, and programme software when needed. The degree covers not only the theoretical aspects of the field, but also the practical side of bioinformatics.
Drawing upon the skills of biotechnology, computer science, statistics and engineering at Sapienza University, the program aims to create a truly interdisciplinary curriculum that brings together different disciplines. The bioinformatics degree is an inter-faculty and inter-departmental academic programme for undergraduate students. It is supported by three faculties and by the participating departments.
Bachelors Programme in Nursing
The Bachelors Programme in Nursing, which is the first and only Nursing programme currently held in English in Italy, prepares students to work as certified clinical nurses and certified nursing specialists (anaesthetists, obstetricians, prenatal and gynaecological care) in public and private health facilities across the European Community.
Students will study both community and individual health needs and learn to plan, manage and evaluate nursing care strategies. They will be trained to ensure the correct application of diagnostic and therapeutic actions, acting both individually and in collaboration with other health care and social services operators.
The programme, which is based on lectures, seminars, workshops and practical simulations, includes traditional learning activities, modern teaching tools and training with specialist health services, as well as laboratory activities and internships.
The curriculum is based on a maximum of 20 exam modules, both oral and written, as well as in-course tests (self-assessment tests and interviews).
The admission test is based on general knowledge and command of the English language (level B2 required). The programme will accept 20 students per year, including non-EU students.
- Basic Cellular Morphology and Function
- Fundamentals of Organ Morphology and Function
- Fundamentals of Nursing Science
- Morphological and Functional Fundamentals of the Human Body
- Basic Patho-Physiological Mechanisms
- Social and Psychological Process of the Human Being
- Nursing and Clinical Methods
- Nursing Diagnostic, Therapeutic and Rehabilitative Processes
- Nursing Process and Therapeutic Care in the Medical Area
- Nursing Process and Therapeutic Care for Physical and Psychological Disabilities
- Nursing Process and Therapeutic Care for Maternity and Paediatrics
- Nursing Process and Therapeutic Care for Surgery
- Nursing In The Assistance of Critical Situations
- Nursing Methodology Based on Evidence of Effectiveness
- Legal Principles Applied to the Organization and Management of Nursing
The Bachelors Programme in Nursing is an inter-faculty programme managed by the Sapienza faculties of Medicine and Psychology, Pharmacy and Medicine, and Medicine and Dentistry.
Sustainable Building Engineering
Available to students starting in academic year 2018-2019, the Bachelors Degree in Sustainable Building Engineering aims to introduce students to the knowledge and skills necessary to ensure a sustainable future. The goal of sustainable development, both for existing and future construction works, is the real challenge of our era.
In particular, the Bachelors Degree in Sustainable Building Engineering will address the following issues:
- Reducing the demand for energy and the energetic consumption of buildings
- Taking advantage of climate and natural resources to develop passive design strategies and sustainable architecture
- Reusing and recycling building components and materials
- Extending the lifetime of products and buildings
- Risk-free reintroduction of materials to their natural cycles
- Adopting a sustainable environmental use, participatory planning and design
- Reducing urban sprawl, promoting urban renewal, and protecting natural areas
- Planning, designing and building in respect of natural constraints
The programme also aims to provide students with analytical skills for recognizing, understanding, planning and designing under complex environmental conditions.
Upon completion of the degree programme, graduates will be able to address the many complex problems faced by sustainable building engineers, from project design to works management, with a special focus on environmental protection and environmental risks prevention.
Please note: the Bachelors Degree Programme in Sustainable Building Engineering will be held at the Sapienza University Campus in Rieti, a town 80 kilometres north of Rome.
Please note: there is a pre-selection procedure!
Single Cycle (Bachelors+Masters) Degree Programme
Single cycle degree programmes are 5-6 year degree programmes, which integrate a Bachelors and Masters Degree and provide advanced training and education for high-level qualification, in specific fields that are determined at the EU level.
Admission to a single cycle programme is based on the same requisites as a first cycle programme, but with an entrance examination>.
Degree Programme in Medicine and Surgery
Medicine has been taught at Sapienza University since the Studium Urbis was founded in 1303 by Pope Boniface VIII. Over the course of the centuries, the Faculty has amassed knowledge and influence, shaping medicine in both Italy and Europe and improving human health.
In particular, Sapienza offers a 6-year inter-faculty degree course in Medicine and Surgery that is taught entirely in English (Programme F at the “Policlinico” University Hospital) and is open to students from around the world.
The aim of this degree is to educate students to the highest standards of medical practice, train specialised clinicians in patient-centred medicine and tackle crucial issues in the mechanisms, prevention and treatment of disease, as well as health care and basic science.
Sapienza places a strong emphasis on developing clinical skills throughout the course of the programme and teaching often takes place in Sapienza’s three specialist hospitals: Policlinico, Sant’Andrea and Latina.
The Medicine degree programme (see Single Cycle Degree Programmes) accepts 45 students: 35 places are reserved for EU citizens and 10 are reserved for non-EU citizens.
Classes are smaller than the majority of medical schools, allowing for greater teacher-student interaction and fostering student self-evaluation, independent thinking and investigation.
Entrance examination: IMAT
Degree: Doctor of Medicine and Surgery
Duration: 6 years
Master courses held in English
Sapienza University is proud to offer a number of Masters Degree Programmes that are taught entirely in English.
Admission to a two-year Masters Programme requires the successful completion of a three-year Bachelors Degree or equivalent university degree abroad. All students applying to a Masters Programme (except for restricted access programmes) held in English must complete a pre–selection application.
- Masters of Science in Engineering in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
- Masters Degree in Architecture-Conservation
- Atmospheric Science and Technology (LMAST) Programme
- Programme in Business Management
- Cognitive Neuroscience
- Computer Science
- Control Engineering
- Data Science
- Development and International Cooperation
- Economics and Communications for Management and Innovation
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering (MDEE)
- Energy Engineering
- Engineering in Computer Science
- European Studies
- Fashion Science
- Genetics and Molecular Biology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Nanotechnology Engineering
- Particle and Astroparticle Physics
- Product Design
- Science and Technology for the Conservation of Cultural Heritage
- Space and Astronautical Engineering
- Statistical Methods and Applications
- Transport Systems Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
Please contact Italstudio for additional information (we speak English, Dutch and Italian).